Monday 1 April 2013

More pasta adventures

I started a rummage around the fridge today trying to rustle up a bit of lunch. I didn't have much enthusiasm, thinking that all I had was a bit of pancetta and although this is wonderful stuff, without any fresh herbs or interesting veg, I wasn't sure I had enough in to make it exciting.

I love it when it starts off like that and ends up as something really nice.

On request of having a pasta based meal I started by leafing through the pasta book which I've borrowed (OK, considering it's been two years, I probably have to admit - stolen), from my brother. Starting with a search for bacon (nothing) and then ham. This lead to the idea of adding onions, frozen peas and parmesan (which I always have in) and then cream (of which a tiny pot remained from Friday's pudding). I'm always a fan of a bit of reduced wine in a pasta dish so I threw some of that in too.

The result was very sweet and nice for a starter or a light lunch. If we'd been having dinner it might have been a bit much.

Bacon and pea pasta

Serves two as a light lunch

120g dried pasta
60g of pancetta cubes
1/2 a white onion, thinly sliced
knob of butter and a small splash of olive oil
1/2 glass of white wine
large handful of frozen petite pois
1-2 tbsp cream (creme fraiche would probably have worked too)
handful of parmesan
salt and pepper

Put a tiny amount of oil in a pan on a high heat and add the pancetta. Stir occasionally until starting to pick up a little bit of colour. At this point put the pasta on to boil. Then turn the temperature down to low and wait for the pan to cool a little before adding the onion and butter. Cook the mixture until the pancetta is crispy and the onions are soft and sweet.


Then add the wine and peas and turn the temperature up to bubble off the alcohol and cook the peas. Once the peas are warmed through and the acrid alcohol smell is gone, turn the temperature down again and add the cream, most of the parmesan and season to taste with salt and pepper. Warm through.



By this point the pasta will mostly likely be cooked through so it still has a bite. Strain it off reserving some of the cooking water. Put the pasta back in the pan along with the sauce and stir it through. Add some of the cooking water until you have a slightly looser slippery looking sauce. Adjust the seasoning and put in bowls topped with the remaining parmesan.


2 comments:

  1. Give it back! And where's my pasta machine!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You said you didn't have any time to cook! If you want them back, you can have them, but only if you use them ;-) (she said having not used them since last year)

    ReplyDelete