Wednesday 6 August 2014

The search for the ultimate cheese board

So, I promised you more on the cheese. Oh my word, cheese. It's been one of my latest obsessions. Well, more precisely cheese boards and even more precisely the accompaniments to a cheese board.

It's something that I've been interested in for a while. Cheese boards have appeared more and more in the last few years, as a late night snack at events, which I think is great. It's also become my pudding of choice, mainly because you can keep on drinking red wine when you have the cheese option. The interest became an obsession at my last job. There would be a monthly birthday celebration which used to include a little bit of cheese, Cava, cake and Percy Pigs (got to love a Percy!). As time went on I gradually gained control of this little event. I got rid of all the sweet stuff and pimped the cheese option beyond recognition.

This culminated last week, when the cheese was in recognition of my leaving do *sniff*. I wanted to go out in style, so, as a number of us were leaving I secured a little more budget and put on a spread to end all spreads. I added a few home made options like potted venison, seeded crackers and rosemary and paprika almonds.


But what I really wanted to tell you was my list of ultimate cheese accompaniments:

  • Celery 
  • Sun blushed tomatoes 
  • Gherkins
  • Pickled onions
  • Chutney (as many types as possible we had chilli jam, caramelised chutney and apple/ginger)
  • Grapes
  • Apples
  • Selection of unsalted nuts and dried fruit like cranberries and apricots
  • Parma ham

Rosemary and paprika almonds


One of those things you make and then have to hide before everyone robs them before the party. I would add a lot less oil next time. Apart from that they would amazing...

200g/7oz blanched almonds
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp sea salt
2 tbsp finely chopped rosemary needles
½ tsp smoked paprika

Add the almonds to a wide-based pan, heat over a very high heat and fry for a minute. Add the oil, salt and rosemary then fry until crisp.

Remove from the heat and sprinkle in the paprika, toss together and serve. If preferred, roast in an oven preheated to 220C/425F/Gas 7 (200C fan).


Seeded oatcakes



I wanted to do something with seeds as part of the super food challenge. I got bored of this but made these anyway. They ended up being really really good. I'd highly recommend them as they're really quick and people will be really impressed you've made your own crackers. I also think that you could flavour them with all sorts of other things.

50g butter
100g medium oatmeal
100g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp poppy seeds
2 tbsp sesame seeds

Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Melt the butter in a small pan, then allow to cool slightly. Tip all the dry ingredients into a bowl, with ½ tsp salt, then pour in the butter. Add 5-6 tbsp boiling water and combine to make a firm dough.

Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface, then roll out until about 0.5cm thick. Cut into small squares, then bake for 12-15 mins until golden. Leave to cool for a few mins, then transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.

Thanks for a cracking sign off LINERS. I miss you all, almost as much as I miss the cheese! Big love xx

No comments:

Post a Comment