Thursday 11 September 2014

Restaurant Review: Salaam Namaste

I’ve been meaning to go to Salaam Namaste for a while. I don’t even remember why it’s on the list but it must have got a good review at some point. The concept is Modern Indian cuisine, which I like the idea of. I've not got around to going mainly I think because it’s in Bloomsbury which I rarely have a need to visit. However, we were going to a gig near Euston and this place fell fairly close. It’s in a weird place for a restaurant. Unlike Soho, Covent Garden or Shoreditch there’s no density of eateries here and we had to walk through quiet streets for ten minutes or so before finding this solitary restaurant on a back street near Russell Square.

We were greeted and shown to our table. When we asked to be moved because it was right next to the toilets the response we got was rather frosty which set us off on a slightly uncomfortable footing. This kind of set the tone for another few standard service mistakes like not bringing the tap water we asked for, standing at the head of the table looking bored whilst people flapped over what they wanted etc. On top of this when we were asking about sides they weren’t very helpful. I asked if my main came with anything, and was told a very firm ‘No’, so I ordered rice, then it turned up with flat bread. This happened with a few other side options which resulted in us ending up with way too much food.

And, I warn you now, asking for a glass of wine before you've finished your last one. Well, I think you could describe that look at pretty scathing. The upshot was that I didn't feel particularly comfortable in there. However, we still had a nice evening.


The food in contrast was great. There was a whole grill section on the menu which I really like at an Indian. My minted lamb tandoori was beautifully presented and came with an interesting crunchy salad, great sauces and the lamb it's self was delicious. This was then scooped up in buttered flat bread which resulted in a party in my mouth. Appreciative noises from other people around the table seemed to indicate that the food was of overall high quality. I was especially jealous of the ginger lamb chops. We also got a drinkable bottle of house wine for £15, which is always nice.


I was able to book online a few hours before and didn’t have any trouble securing a table for 5 people. When we turned up, just after 7pm, I think we could have got away without booking at all. Although it was full by 8.30pm.


The upshot is: Odd location and stroppy service countered by great, well presented food at a reasonable price. Would I go again? If I was in this area and was in the mood for an Indian, probably but I have to say that the service did put me off. 5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment